Having moved to Sweden two years ago to take up my current role, I am now seeking to make a positive contribution by working in an environment where the focus is on decentralized or community driven applications. Ones that bring real benefit to society. With a solid technical skillset, I am also looking to take on more responsibility and develop my management and leadership capabilities.
Areas of technical expertise
- 4+ years of experience with Typescript / NodeJS development
- Strong advocate for Agile and XP Practices
- Believer and enthusiastic contributor to open source projects
- Experience with relational (Postgres) and NoSQL (MongoDB, CouchDB) databases
- Confident in the use of devops technologies such as GCP, Docker, Terraform, Kubernetes and Ansible
- REST & GraphQL API design
Benefit Team Engineer - September 2018 - Present
Advinans AB - Stockholm, Sweden
Advinans is a fintech startup challenging the benefits, pension and insurance markets; with lower fees and better user experience. In my time there they have grown from a small B2C platform, to a rapidly expanding future industry benchmark.
- Built numerous features such as payslip integrations, a job offers portal and insurance analysis engine
- Designed and implemented sophisticated logging and error reporting, significantly reducing time taken to resolve issues
- Developed tooling to improve the build and deployment process
Backend Engineer - June 2017 - December 2017
SpotMe SA - Lausanne, Switzerland
SpotMe develops mobile and web apps for clients running events, that can be customised and modified across all platforms from one backend interface. Whilst working there I was responsible for maintaining their behind the scenes services that enable this functionality, and updating them to use the latest technologies.
- Profiled the Node.js backend and improved performance by a factor of ten
- Designed and implemented an image processing and uploading framework
- Modernising the platform and introducing more agile procedures
Software Developer - July 2015 - June 2016
Clock Limited - Watford, England
As part of my degree I spent an industrial year working full time at Clock, a Node.js agency in Hertfordshire. Whilst there I had several roles throughout the year, including running their support service (bug fixes), developing new features for existing projects and being trained by the Technical Services team to learn how to manage the infrastructure of a web agency.
- Developing Node.js & MongoDB applications
- Working with large existing code bases
- Customer communications
Bioinformatics Assistant - August 2014 - October 2014
Institute for Biological, Environmental and Rural Sciences,
This position was a paid summer, job where I learned a substantial amount about many areas of computing I wouldn’t normally have been exposed to. I had access to a powerful cluster and had to deal with large amounts of genomic data. This work would lead into my undergraduate dissertation, where I worked even more with genetic data.
- Compiling and installing open source genomics applications
- Utilising a cluster to run genome assemblies
- Python scripting to automate tasks
2017 - BEng in Software Engineering with First Class Honours
2013 - Distinction* Level 3 Extended BTEC Diploma in Computing
2010 - Nine grade A GCSEs including English, Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology
- Spotter - A website written in Typescript that leverages the PushShift API to find reddit users hate speech.
- Process Game - A small C game I made as a learning exercise. Find a way to kill the game without it knowing.
- Daily Mail Bot - Protest bot written in Python, that mirrors Daily Mail & Sun articles posted to reddit.
- New Post - Python script that notifies users of new posts to reddit that match given criteria.
- Overall winner of BBC News Hack Wales 2015
Aside from computing my main passion in life is swing dancing and traditional jazz. I have been teaching dance classes back in the UK and spent several summers helping to run the largest Swing Dance festival in the world in Herräng, Sweden. Prior to university I was also volunteering at The National Museum of Computing in Bletchley park and running development Centres for Young Rewired State.
Dr Amanda Clare - Senior Lecturer
Department of Computer Science, Llandinam Building, Aberystwyth, SY23 3DB
Reference from current employer only available as part of formal recruitment process with prior authorisation.